Saturday, March 03, 2007

Get Ready... GDC Is Coming!


The Game Developers Conference (GDC) is set to begin next week in San Francisco, CA. With E3 seemingly on the way out, or at least scaled down considerably, other gaming trade shows will have to pick up the slack. While E3 was much more oriented towards the press and game enthusiasts, GDC gives the developers the spotlight and allows them to share their ideas in a more creative environment.

This year, some notable guest speakers are scheduled to give keynote presentations. Namely, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto and Sony's Phil Harrison. But it's not all campfire songs and motivational speeches either. Expect to hear some big announcements next week, as the Big 3 try to position themselves for the coming year's releases. Personally, I'm hoping for an official Halo 3 release date (we've got one for GTA) and maybe some more info on titles like Mass Effect, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed.

There are a number of predictions going around, some plausible, some long shots. I think the announcement of the HDMI-enabled XBox360, with larger HDD, and 65nm CPU is very possible. I hope we'll see what Killzone 2 really looks like. I'm also interested in seeing more of Super Paper Mario (releases next month) and Super Mario Galaxy. Maybe some GTA IV details before the game actually ships. I just want to see the rainbow on the other side of this Winter drought, because I know there's a lot coming this year. It's just a matter of having enough time enjoy all the gaming goodness, with each megaton game conveniently spaced apart.


Also, I hope this is the last year we're gonna hear more about the upcoming phenomenon known as Spore. I know it's gonna be amazing and groundbreaking, but how many E3's do we have to hear about that game? I swear, I think I knew about that game before it came out longer than I knew about Diablo 2 and Half-Life 2 combined.

No comments: