Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Screen Time


It's amazing how much time we spend in front of screens every day. On top of the 8 hours of the day at your work computer, there's the home web browsing, not to mention TV watching, world of warcraft pwning, netflixing, myspace surfing, digging, movie going, and microwaving. Then, when you throw in time with your PDA, cellphone, or other device, possibly a portable gaming handheld or some sort of ipod (i think today, it's actually simplier to classify all devices as either "ipod" or "non-ipod"), that all adds up to a whole lot of screen time.

Granted, most of these devices I use are flat screen-based LCDs monitors, which are supposed to be easier on the eyes. Still, I would venture to say that I spend about 70 to 80 percent of my waking hours with my eyes glued to some sort of screen, and that's a little bit frightening.

You know, I really should read more. And not just blogs and websites and email (they don't really count), but real paper with real printed text. You can't replace paper-based books. Well.. actually, maybe you can. Nevermind. Paper's heavy and overrated anyway. Poor trees. Okay, I think I've made my point: Don't hurt trees.

So.. how much time do you spend looking at screens? Is it greater than zero? I bet it is..

No comments: