Friday, October 24, 2008

That Thing Creeps Me Out


So Thao recently bought a red wig for her Halloween costume this year. I won't say exactly what she's gonna be dressing up as, but she did braid the hair into two separate pig tails that hang neatly off the sides. Since Halloween isn't for a week or so, she had set the hair prop hanging on a cabinet handle near the bathroom. Later that night, as I made my way toward the bathroom to empty the tank, I nearly jumped backward in horror at the sight of something I'd never thought I could be afraid of. Now, keep in mind, the hallway was dimly lit and I didn't know it would be there, but yeah, I was a bit unnerved at the time.

Funny thing is, even now, as I pass by the thing, it's still a little creepy, and for some reason I can't help but think, "Kill it, kill it, kill it". I don't know what it is. Maybe it's that the short strands of braided hair that almost appear to form a pair of furry legs or claws. Maybe it's some weird undiscovered fear of small, furry, mutant animals that I've repressed until now. Maybe it's just the idea of a disembodied head of hair. Or perhaps, it's that when viewed from the proper angle, with your eyes squinted just right, it has the look of a headcrab. You know those super-annoying staples of the Half-Life series that lunge at your head at every opportunity? In any case, Halloween will be over before I know it. That pillow wearing the Lambda Team scientist uniform will hopefully buy me some time and distract it until then.

No comments: